“$40,000 Giveaway” Contest Rules
1. Agreement: Before entering the contest each entrant must read these Contest Rules. No purchase is necessary. Participation in the Contest constitutes full and unconditional agreement and acceptance of these Contest Rules, which are final on all matters relating to the Contest. By entering this Contest, you are bound by the decisions of the Contest judges, which are final with respect to all matters relating to the Contest.
2. Sponsor: The Contest Sponsor is Toronto Star Newspapers Limited.
3. Eligibility: The Contest is only open to legal residents of Ontario 18 years of age and older. Employees (and those with whom they are domiciled) of Contest Sponsor, their affiliates, members, shareholders, officers, directors, employees, volunteers, independent contractors and agencies are also not eligible to enter.
4. Contest: The Contest begins at 10:00 a.m. on Friday, February 15, 2013, and ends at 7:00 p.m. on Sunday, February 24, 2013 (the “contest period”).
5. How to Enter: By using a computer kiosk in the Toronto Star booth at the 2013 Canadian International AutoShow fill in the entry form with required information, including full name, address, day and evening telephone numbers, and email address. For no purchase entry, mail a letter with your full name, address, day and evening telephone numbers to “40,000 Giveaway” c/o Toronto Star, 1 Yonge St. Toronto ON, M5E 1E6.
There is a limit of one entry per person. The chances of winning depend on the total number of eligible entries received.
6. Prizes: There is one (1) prize to be won consisting of:
- A $40,000 credit to be used towards the purchase of a new car at any Trillium Automobile Dealers Association member dealership. In the event that a new car can be purchased for less than $40,000, the credit shall be used entirely with no further remuneration granted to the winner. Credit must be used by December, 31, 2013.
A random draw will be held of all eligible entries during the week of February 25, 2013. The winner will be notified by the phone number as submitted on their entry form. Fulfilment of prize will be handled by a representative of the Contest Sponsor.
7. General/Internet: If for any reason the mail, printed or Internet entry portion of the program is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, mail interruption or any other causes beyond the control of the Sponsor which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this Contest, the Sponsor reserve the right at their sole discretion, to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry process, and to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest. The Sponsor assumes no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to, or alteration of, the entries. The Sponsor are not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers, or providers, computer equipment or software as a result of technical problems, human error or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website, or any combination thereof, including any injury or damage to the entrant's or any other person's computer related to or resulting from participation or downloading any materials in this Contest. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY A CONTESTANT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEBSITE OR OTHER COMPONENTS OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, THE SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH ENTRANT TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
8. Other: All personal information collected by the Sponsors will be used for the purposes of administering the Contest only. All entries become the property of the Toronto Star who assumes no responsibility for lost, late, delayed, destroyed or misdirected entries during the promotional period. All decisions of the Contest judges are final. The Contest is governed by the laws of Ontario and the laws of Canada applicable therein. The Sponsor reserves the right to cancel or modify the Contest or the Contest Rules at any time without notice. All prizes must be accepted as awarded, are non-transferable and are not convertible to cash. Service charges, airport/security taxes and related fees, health, travel, cancellation and other insurance, personal expenses, travel to and from Toronto and any other incurred fees and all expenses not outlined in these rules, as well as all required travel documentation, are the responsibility of each winner and his/her guests. The Sponsor reserves the right to substitute any prize or portion of the prize with a prize of equal or greater value. All prizes are awarded as-is and no warranties or guarantees are implied or expressed, beyond the standard manufacturer's warranty. Only one Toronto Star contest prize of over $500.00 value can be won per household in any 12-month period. The odds of winning depend upon the total number of eligible qualifying entries received on or before the Contest Closing date. The Contest Sponsor will attempt to contact potential winners after the draw by telephone. In order to win, the selected entrants must correctly answer, unaided, a time-limited mathematical skill-testing question. In the event that a selected entrant is disqualified from eligibility, does not correctly answer the mathematical skill-testing question within the time limit, or does not respond to the Contest Sponsor within 48 hours of first contact by the Contest Sponsor, the Contest Sponsor shall have the right to redraw another entrant(s). The Contest Sponsor shall be fully and complete released and discharged from any liability or responsibility in this regard. The Contest Sponsor is not liable for any errors or negligence that may arise in connection with this Contest.
9. Disclaimer: The Contest Sponsor reserves the right to withdraw, amend or terminate this Contest at any time without prior notice. The Contest Sponsor also reserves the right to cancel this Contest at any time because of any printing or other error, or if it suspects or finds evidence of tampering with any part of the Contest. The Contest Sponsor shall not be liable for any errors or negligence that may arise or occur in connection with the Contest. The Contest Sponsor are not liable for injuries, death, damages or losses of any kind resulting from acceptance or use of the Prize.
10. Declaration and Release: Entrants release Contest Sponsor and its affiliated companies and their respective directors, officers and agents from any and all claims or liability in connection with their participation in this promotion or the acceptance of any prize. The act of entering the contest serves as permission for the Contest Sponsor to use your name, address, photograph, likeness, voice and/or any comments made by you concerning the Contest in any form and from time to time, for the purposes of advertising and/or promotion the Contest Sponsor sees fit without remuneration.